Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative
The Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative is a collaborative effort among the cities of Salem and Keizer and Marion and Polk counties. The task force’s purpose is to identify and launch proven strategies that will reduce homelessness in the Marion-Polk county region, encompassing the cities of Keizer and Salem. Co-chairs include Salem Mayor Anna Peterson, Keizer Mayor Cathy Clark, Marion County Commissioner Janet Carlson and Polk County Commissioner Jennifer Wheeler. Task force members include business and community leaders with expertise in social services, housing, public safety, and business.
The task force focuses on the homeless problem in cities and counties; lack of affordable housing; best practices for reducing chronic homelessness; current available services; impacts on public safety and business; and potential revenue sources. Contributing factors such as mental illness, addiction, lack of education and the need for transportation, as well as the challenges of unique populations such as youth and veterans will also be addressed.
The task force meetings are open to the public.
- Mid-Willamette Homeless Initiative Webpage – more information
- MID-WILLAMETTE HOMELESS INITIATIVE – PDF
Statesman Journal Articles
- Statesman Journal: Addressing Homelessness and Affordable Housing in Marion and Polk Counties – Dec. 2016
- Homelessness in Salem to be talking point at Tuesday meeting – January 2017
- “Housing First? A Salt Lake solution could work in Eugene” (eugeneweekly.com) – August 2015
- SALEM WEEKLY “Can Salem Build a Home for Its Homeless?” – February 2016
- Salem advocates: Homelessness isn’t just Portland’s problem – May 2016
- HOUSING FIRST (National Alliance to End Homelessness) – Housing First is an approach that emphasizes stable, permanent housing as a primary strategy for ending homelessness.
- 100,000 Homes – The only lasting solution to homelessness is permanent housing. Far too often, however, we attempt to treat the symptoms of homelessness instead of its root cause.
- MARION AND POLK COUNTIES PLAN TO END HOMELESSNESS – PDF
- Homeless Shelter Directory – Welcome to our Salem, Oregon Homeless Shelters and Services for the needy page.
- Shelter Listings (Salem) – dedicated to serving the homeless and low-income. Our shelter list consists of over 3,000 listings and includes emergency shelters, homeless shelters, day shelters, transitional housing, residential drug/alcohol rehabilitation programs, supportive housing and permanent affordable housing.
- Women at the Well – Grace House
- 2015 Homeless Count Report – Marion & Polk Counties (Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency, Community Resource Program)
- FISCALTIGER – Resources for Those Living in Poverty – New!